Family carers are not always aware of the possibilities of support by volunteer workers. Volunteer workers who help family carers don't always realize that the situation they are working in is quite unique. In fact, they are helping two people: the person who needs care, and the family carer. The project ‘Relieving the burden of family care’ was initiated to develop practical instruments to support volunteer effort for family carers. The instruments were tested by organizations for volunteer care and are described in a series of guides:
- Voluntary coaches - Intensive coaching of care volunteers
- Crossing thresholds together- Buddies support non-western family carers
- Beside the family carer- Companions for family carers
- Intensive respite care - Complex needs voluntarily supported
- Mapping family care support - Coordination and cooperation for family carers
- Develop and disseminate tools and methods that support the informal carer and the volunteer worker who is helping him;
- Make transparent, what the conditions are for voluntary supporting care.
Coordinators of care work and coordinators of organizations of volunteer work at home.
Care workers and volunteers should profit from this project
Based on the insights resulting from the research and the bottleneck analyses, a number of instruments were developed and tested. These instruments are meant to equip volunteers for the work they do for care workers and their clients.